Duties of the Chancellor : 1.04.01.00
Printed on June 2, 2023, 5:32 pm
Policy/Guideline AreaGovernance, Organization, and General Policies
Applicable DivisionsTCATs, Community Colleges, System Office, Board Members
The purpose of this policy is to describe the duties of the Chancellor of the Tennessee Board of Regents.
- The Chancellor shall be the chief executive of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee and shall perform all of those duties that are prescribed by the Board.
- The Chancellor shall be responsible to the Board of Regents for the prompt and effective execution of all resolutions, policies, rules, and regulations adopted by the Board for the ordering and the operation of the entire System, and for the governance of any and all of its branches.
- The discretionary powers of the Chancellor shall be broad enough to enable the discharge of these responsibilities consistent with the mission and policies of the Board of Regents and the applicable state and federal laws. In addition, the Chancellor shall have authority to act for the Board in all matters during a declared state of emergency and, in consultation with the Vice-Chairman, to waive any policy provisions as necessary to carry out the mission of the Board during such emergency. Any such actions by the Chancellor shall be reported to the Board in a timely manner.
- The Chancellor shall attend and participate in, without the privilege of voting, all the meetings of the Board of Regents and of its committees.
- The Chancellor shall review recommendations from the presidents regarding annual appointments, promotions, and salaries of employees of the several institutions of the System and shall be responsible for compliance by the presidents with Board policies and procedures on personnel matters.
- The Chancellor shall make recommendations regarding the establishment or discontinuance of staff positions in the Office of the Board of Regents, and shall recommend the appointment of administrative officers and other employees of the Office of the Board of Regents.
- The Chancellor shall be empowered to act for the Board in the interims when the Board is not in session, and shall speak for the Board and shall represent it at meetings and before the public consistent with established policies of the Board.
- The Chancellor shall be the channel of communication with the presidents of the institutions, and shall present recommendations concerning System policy to the Board.
- The Chancellor shall be authorized upon the authority of the Board and in its name to execute all notes, bonds, deeds, contracts, and other documents of an official nature.
- The Chancellor shall submit, in behalf of the Board and with its approval, any reports required of the system by the Governor or the legislature.
T.C.A. § 49-8-203; Board of Regents Bylaws, as amended,
March 26, 1999; Board Meeting February 13, 2001; Board Meeting June 11, 2004; Revised TBR Board Meeting September 19 & 20, 2019; Revised at TBR Board Meeting April 7, 2020.