Printed on March 24, 2019, 6:37 pm
Governance, Organization, and General Policies
TCATs, Community Colleges, System Office, Board Members
The purpose of this policy is to describe the duties of the Chancellor of the Tennessee Board of Regents.
- The Chancellor shall be the chief executive of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee and shall perform all of those duties that are prescribed by the Board.
- The Chancellor shall be responsible to the Board of Regents for the prompt and effective execution of all resolutions, policies, rules, and regulations adopted by the Board for the ordering and the operation of the entire System, and for the governance of any and all of its branches.
- The discretionary powers of the Chancellor shall be broad enough to enable the discharge of these responsibilities.
- The Chancellor shall attend and participate in, without the privilege of voting, all the meetings of the Board of Regents and of its committees.
- The Chancellor shall be an ex-officio member of all committees, without the authority to vote.
- The Chancellor shall review recommendations from the presidents regarding annual appointments, promotions, and salaries of employees of the several institutions of the System, and shall be responsible for compliance by the presidents with Board policies and procedures on personnel matters.
- The Chancellor shall make recommendations regarding the establishment or discontinuance of staff positions in the Office of the Board of Regents, and shall recommend the appointment of administrative officers and other employees of the Office of the Board of Regents.
- The Chancellor shall be empowered to act for the Board in the interims when the Board is not in session, and shall speak for the Board and shall represent it at meetings and before the public consistent with established policies of the Board.
- The Chancellor shall be the channel of communication with the presidents of the institutions, and shall present recommendations concerning System policy to the Board.
- The Chancellor shall be authorized upon the authority of the Board and in its name to execute all notes, bonds, deeds, contracts, and other documents of an official nature.
- The Chancellor shall submit, in behalf of the Board and with its approval, the annual report at the end of each fiscal year, which report shall go to the Governor and the legislature.
T.C.A. § 49-8-203; Board of Regents Bylaws, as amended,
March 26, 1999; Board Meeting February 13, 2001; Board Meeting June 11, 2004