Expenditure of State Funds for Paid Advertising : 4.06.00.00
Printed on October 21, 2019, 10:28 am
Policy/Guideline AreaBusiness and Finance Policies
Applicable DivisionsTCATs, Community Colleges, System Office
The purpose of this policy is to provide parameters within which TBR institutions shall use state funds for advertising.
- Advertising - for the purposes of this policy, refers to expenditures to recruit students by media purchases through television, radio, newspapers, billboards, etc.
- General Statement
- This policy excludes advertising for position vacancies, costs associated with publication expenditures (see G-140), and advertising for auxiliary operations or athletic events and programs.
- Advertising for the recruitment of students shall be designed to increase enrollments in the service delivery area as the first priority for advertising of community colleges and colleges of applied technology.
- Any advertising in regional newspapers shall be restricted to zoned editions.
- Advertising expenditures should result in a citizenry which is better informed and thus more likely to support state higher education through both private giving and more effective advocacy.
- Advertising also informs citizens of the opportunities available through the state's institutions of higher education, thus improving the state's workforce and competitive position in the global economy.
- Campuses are encouraged to maintain an appreciation of the efforts of all post-secondary institutions to provide educational services to students.
- In this sense, advertising for one campus should not be designed in a manner that has the impact of being detrimental with regard to the educational services provided by another campus.
- Given the aforementioned criteria, each campus shall evaluate paid advertising on an annual basis to determine if the original estimates of probable returns on investment are realized.
- A "cost to benefit" analysis of paid advertising should be a significant factor in the determination whether or not to continue the advertising campaign, along with other factors deemed appropriate by the President.
- Any exceptions to this policy may be approved by the Chancellor.
T.C.A. § 49-8-203
TBR Meeting December 4, 1998; September 28, 2007.