Duties of the Institutional Presidents : 1.03.02.00
Printed on February 19, 2020, 10:17 pm
Policy/Guideline AreaGovernance, Organization, and General Policies
Applicable DivisionsTCATs, Community Colleges
The purpose of this policy is to set out the duties of the institutional Presidents.
- The president of each institution in the System shall be the executive head of the institution and of all its departments and shall exercise such supervision and direction as will promote the efficient operation of the institution, consistent with the mission and policies of the Board of Regents and the applicable state and federal laws.
- The president shall be responsible to the Board through the Chancellor for the operation and management of the institution and for the execution of all directives of the Board and of the Chancellor.
- The president shall be the official medium of communication between the faculty and the Chancellor, and between the council, senate, assembly, or any such body, either of the faculty or of the students, and the Chancellor.
- The president shall recommend annually to the Board of Regents, through its Personnel and Compensation Committee, the creation or continuance of positions of faculty and other employees of the institution.
- The president shall have the authority to recommend or make appointments of personnel and, within budgetary limitations, to fix their salaries, and to recommend or approve promotions, transfers, leaves of absence, and removal of personnel, pursuant to the requirements of policies and procedures established by the Board, and subject to such prior approval or confirmation of the Board or the Chancellor as may be required by the Board.
- The president shall make any report requested by the Chancellor or the Board regarding the institution under the president's control.
T.C.A. § 49-8-203; Board of Regents Bylaws, as amended
Approved Jan. 3, 2002, as amended; Revised TBR Board Meeting September 19 & 20, 2019.