Printed on March 21, 2018, 4:19 am
Governance, Organization, and General Policies
TCATs, Community Colleges, Universities, System Office, Board Members
The purpose of this policy is to state the duties of the Board of Regents, consistent with Board By-laws.
- The Board of Regents is responsible for the operation of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee as provided by the laws of the State of Tennessee.
- The Board shall be responsible for the government, management, and control of the system.
- The Board is specifically empowered to perform each of the following duties:
- Employ the Chancellor, define his or her duties, and within budgetary limitations, fix his or her compensation.
- Select and employ presidents of the institutions and set their salaries and terms of office.
- Confirm the appointment of administrative personnel, faculty, and other employees of each institution, and fix their salaries and terms of office.
- Prescribe curricula and requirements for diplomas and degrees.
- Approve the operating and capital budgets of each institution and otherwise set policies for their fiscal affairs.
- Establish policies and regulations regarding the campus life of the institutions, including, but not limited to, the conduct of students, student housing, parking, and safety.
- Assume general responsibility for the operations of the institutions, delegating to the presidents and directors such powers and duties as are necessary and appropriate for the efficient administration of their respective institutions and their programs.
- Receive donations of money, securities, and property from any source on behalf of the institutions of the System, which gifts shall be used in accordance with the conditions set by the donor.
- Purchase land subject to the terms and conditions of state regulations, condemn land, erect buildings and equip them for the institutions subject to the terms and conditions of legislative appropriations.
- Be vested with title to property transferred from the State Board of Education and to property donated or purchased subsequent thereto.
- The Board shall have such other powers not otherwise prescribed by law, as are necessary to carry out the provisions of Tennessee Code Annotated section 49-8-101 et seq.
Tennessee Code Annotated 49-8-203, as amended; Board of Regents Bylaws